Become part of the 40% who are happy with their career choices, instead of the 60% who regretted it.
What are some steps to avoid making the wrong career choice?
Top reasons why people regretted their career choices:
- Failure to discover your purpose
- Failure to discover your strengths
- Failure to focus your mind
- Failure to define what’s meaningful work
- Failure to define what success means
What are the right skills you need to succeed in your career?
Here are the top 5 reasons many fresh graduates remain unemployed:
- 67% Asking for unrealistic salary and benefits
- 60% Poor character, attitude, or personality
- 55% Poor communication and collaboration skills
- 55% Poor command of the English language
- 42% Lack of required skills
Multiple surveys have uncovered what employers really want!
Top graduates need 5Cs and not 5As alone!
Source: Ministry of Education Malaysia Graduate Employability Blueprint 2012-2017
What are the consequences of an uninformed decision?
High dropout rate
“…out of the 100,000 students who went for their degree programme, only 83,000 actually finished the entire programme while the rest had dropped out.”
Source: Talent Corporation Malaysia Berhad, 26th September 2012
Take longer time to graduate
Up to 80 percent of students entering college admit that they're not certain what they really want to major in, even if they've initially declared a major. In addition, up to 50 percent of college students change their majors at least once before graduation, and some change several times.
Source: Research by Penn State University, 2012
Unhappy with their job & life
“73% of Malaysian youth agree with the statement that in Malaysia the problem is not in getting a job, but the problem is in getting the job that you like.”
Source: Survey of Malaysian Youth Opinion by The Asia Foundation, 2012
Here are tips on how you can make the right career
and study choices:
1. Discover your interest and passion
The following are good starting points for you to think about when selecting a career or study choice:
- Are you delighted to teach it to others?
- Would you like to spend more time doing it?
- Does it make you want to get out of bed in the morning?
2. Identify your true skills and abilities
Look for key skills that are most sought after by employers and universities by doing a current state analysis using a skills assessment tool.
3. Be SMART in setting your goals
Goal setting is a powerful process when considering your ideal future, and motivating yourself to turn your vision of this future into reality. A useful way of making goals more powerful is to use the SMART mnemonic.
4. Explore your study options
Start right by conducting your own research, analysis and evaluation on the various programmes offered by the institution which holds a strong academic and university placement track record while providing an awesome student experience.
5. Explore your best career match
Start with a career profiling test available online and speak to a career counsellor who can guide you through the process of choosing the right career path.
6. Craft your personal mission statement
“Personal mission statements…the basis for making major, life-directing decisions, the basis for making daily decisions…….. that affect our lives.”
Source: Stephen Covey in ‘The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People’
Start right by choosing your college wisely.
When choosing a college, it is important to ask the following questions on the academic reputation and results, student learning experience and university placement track record of the institution.
- Has the college been recognised by the Ministry of Education for its overall quality of education?
- Has the college been recognised for its students satisfaction and learning experience in Malaysia?
- What is their record in placing students into top universities?
- What is their academic track record?
Here’s your best solution.
The only college with all campuses awarded 6-star (highest rating) by MOE consistently since 2012.
Out of 143 colleges and universities in the world which participated in the iGraduate 2013 survey on student learning experience, Taylor's College Lakeside Campus emerged No. 1 in Malaysia.
Every year, over 1,000 students are placed in the top 200 universities of the world.
- 3 out of 4 'top in the world' South Australian Matriculation/SACE International achievers in 2013 were from Taylor's College Lakeside Campus.
- 74% of the Malaysian students who were awarded Top in the World Cambridge Learner Awards 2013 were Taylor's College Lakeside Campus students.
(Top in the World Cambridge Learner Awards is a recognition by Cambridge International Examination (CIE) for students who have achieved outstanding academic achievements)
Taylor's College Lakeside Campus, the right start to the university and career of your choice.
At Taylor's College Lakeside Campus, we help you choose the programme that brings out the best in you, adapt successfully to college life and achieve the examination results to gain admission into the university of your choice and your chosen career.
Through your focus on: